Old 20-06-2005, 01:08 AM
Bill Stock

Default Ping Roy

Roy,

I finally put my flowerpot Skippy filter together this weekend. I was a
little concerned, as the spots at the side of the pot where the input and
back-flush bulkheads go are slightly concave. When I tightened up the gasket
on the input bulkhead the rubber ring got twisted severely out of shape.
There's actually a gap between the washer and the lock nut.

So I filled it up to give it the leak test and it passed. It leaks.

But it's not the input bulkhead that leaks, it's actually the back-flush
bulkhead that's leaking. At first I thought it was the plug leaking, but the
Teflon tape did not stop the leak. I suspect the lock nut may not be tight
enough, as I had a little trouble getting a grip on this one, with all the
silicone I slathered on the outside of the bulkhead.

I was thinking that some neoprene gasket material might be a good solution
for the leaking bulkhead, even if tightening the lock nut does the trick.
I'd also like to redo the input bulkhead, but since the check valve is
already in place (not too bright) I'm pretty much stuck with the existing
gasket. I guess I could put some neoprene over the existing gasket or do you
think some plumbers putty would do the trick? Perhaps just slather both with
Silicone on the inside?

TIA