Old 20-06-2005, 04:37 AM
MostlyH2O

Default Tree Wound Question - Live Oak

Hi Folks,

I have a large live oak that splits into 4 main branches at the top of the
trunk. In the middle of the top of the trunk is a 1-2 gallon sized cavity.
Debris had been building in the cavity and several plants were growing in
the dirt and humis in the cavity. So I cleaned out the leaves and dirt and
pulled the plants out.

Now, I have this pit in the tree that holds at least a gallon of water. In
this part of Florida, that is a huge mosquito breeding ground. I've read
that fillers and sealers are a bad a idea. And that I shouldn't drill a
hole to allow the water to drain.

So, I wonder if anyone can suggest the best way to avoid the stagnant water
retention in the tree cavity.

Thanks very much,

Jack Coletti
St. Petersburg, FL