Old 20-06-2005, 06:59 AM
sherwindu

You probably have the genetic dwarf variety of Stella, and I have never
heard of Tartarian. If the Tartarian is a grafted tree, you definitely do not
want any branches growing out of the rootstock, or lower portion of the tree
below the graft. This is true for any grafted fruit tree. Usually a graft is not
any higher than the 24 inch height you specified, but be aware of the root stock
height for grafted trees.

Some people jam braces between the branches to force them to scaffold.

Sherwin D.

woodwrkrz wrote:

I just planted a Stella and a Tartarian sweet cherry trees in my yard.
The trees are about 7 feet tall and are supposed to be dwarf or semi
dwarf. I bought the trees on sale about $7.00 at a Big Box Store.
They do not appear to have been pruned properly, branches are very
upright and competing with the leader and the lowest branch is about 4
feet from the soil. According to the pruning book I have these trees
should develop scaffold branches about 24 to 30 inches from the soil,
is there a way to force these trees to develop lower more horizontal
branches and "start over"?