Old 20-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Rob

Diana Kulaga wrote:
All,

I, and everone I know who grows orchids around here, have always pronounced
Brassavola with the emphasis on the third syllable (the vol).

Recently, at the WPB Judging center, a couple of judges announced that the
word is pronounced "BrahSAHvola.

What do you guys have to say? Is everyone in my orchid society
mispronouncing the word, as well as growers, etc?

Diana

I pronounce it your way... But I've heard it several ways. I don't
think one is more right than the other.

The trick to pronouncing anything is to do it without hesitation.
People assume you are doing it right if you do it well. And if somebody
gives you grief, the best response is "Oh, so that is how _you_
pronounce it". Use your best snooty tone of voice.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1