Old 20-06-2005, 03:03 PM
~Roy~

A fish gets introduced to a lot of stress until it finally gets to its
permanent home. Being that its only a week, it could have very well
been that. Any time a fish is off by itself and out of the herd, or
just hanging around on top or at the bottom, and with the others is a
time to be concerned. I'm not saying fish don;t do that normnally, but
any fish that for the most part have some kind of problem....

I don't think I would be concerned with your PH readings. I have
always read / been told a temp swing will do more harm to a fish than
ph will, especially if its abrupt.
On 20 Jun 2005 06:24:20 -0700, wrote:

===
===Well, this morning we woke up with a floating shubunkin... He had been
===acting odd the past couple of days, 2 days ago he spend most of the day
===just floating up in the shallow water on our gravel shelf, maybe in 2"
===of water. You could reach in and touch him and he would just hang
===there. Yesterday we barely saw him, actually though he got eaten by
===something as he didn't make an appearance for 8 hours.
===
===This morning he was floating and gone. Of course this is the fish my 5
===year old picked out, so there were many tears this morning... The comet
===and other shubunkin seem to be doing fine, they are active and eating.
===Just a sick fish perhaps?
===
===Water tests seem not too bad, ph is high, in the 8-8.4 range. Should I
===try to lower it? Pond is 120 gallons and only 1 week old. I'm wondering
===if some stones we put in or the bricks holding up planters may be
===leeching something keeping the Ph high? Nitrite levels are good,
===nitrate levels are safe and total alkalinity is good. The only other
===thing is that the water tests as very hard. These are test strips of
===course, tonight we go to the aquarium store and have them run more
===accurate tests on the water.
===
===So, the other fish seem fine... Should I worry about the Ph or water
===hardness or just let nature take it's course?

"The original frugal ponder"