Old 20-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Helen

"Steveo" wrote in message
ADD wrote:
Is this a good tool for digging up roots from saplings, which I have
an entire backyard full of? Using a spade is too
difficult.Unfortunately a grub hoe isn't listed at the Home Depot and
Lowes websites, so I assume I will have to find a farming equpiment
wholesaler or such.

We call them grape hoe's here. Great tool.

I don't know where you're located, but do you have a hardware store or
garden supply store near you?
Do yo have a local Farm and Garden Supply store? That's where I got mine.
But they are NOT of the quality
of the tools Daddy owned! Wal-Mart has a cheapO one...may last a week if
you only use it once. Some
hardware stores have them.

Photos and brief info he
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_tools_eq...V_3642_1383897
,00.html

http://www.sanlorenzolumber.com/garden/drygoods.html

The reason I like prefer the grubbing hoe over the regular garden hoe is its
weight...it's heavier and
necessary for roots or hard ground. Just like a heavy hammer, the heavier
the hammer, the less
muscle power needed to do the job, with the exception of the lifting of
course. A light hammer will
flat wear you out, and the same is true of a regular garden hoe unless
you're dealing with soft, loose soil.
Yes, do get some gloves. I suggest the deer skin ones. They are soft,
plyable and long lasting.

Helen