Old 20-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Rev \Fragile Warrior\

"Hound Dog" wrote in message

"PatK" wrote in message
I know maybe this isn't the newsgroup to ask this question but you all
seem pretty intelligent to me. I was driving past a man made lake today
and was wondering... If big enough and left long enough, would a body of
water eventually get fish in it? If so, how would would they get there? I
thought about bird droppings, which would work for seeds, but not for fish
eggs. Maybe this is a silly question but I thought I'd ask and see if
anybody here knows the answer.

Pat

It seems the answer to your question is YES.

The article I read stated that one way bodies of water are populated with
fish is by storms scooping fish out of one place and dropping them in
another.

First, it depends on the source of the water. If they took a stream and
made a damn and created a lake, then yes, it will have fish. If it is
run-off water (from higher areas around the lake) then it won't --
initially.

Certain birds will carry fish a distance before stopping to eat it and it is
possible, I suppose, that they will eventually drop a fish in a body of
water. BTW, the first resident (until he finds out there are no fish) will
probably be a snapping turtle who can travel long distances over ground.

However, most man-made ponds are just simple stocked with fish to create a
healthy body of water. Stagnant water with no life creates scummy,
algea-ridden, mosquito havens -- obviously not a good idea. Locally, we
have a traveling band of fish salesman who will sell us large and small
mouth bass, catfish, albino catfish, perch and feeder minnows as well as Koi
for those foo-foo farmers who have to have perty fish in their ponds.

And, just FYI: it's a pond if it is under an acre in size. If it is an acre
or larger it is called a "lake" and the tax bracket is adjusted
appropriately.

Giselle