Old 25-10-2002, 07:42 PM
Alan Gould

Default Ivy covered tree

In article , Tumbleweed fromnews@myso
ckstumbleweed.freeserve.co.uk writes
.....and is a bugger to remove :-)

I wonder if I'll be destroying the planet by removing it (in progress via
black plastic over the winter*) or if I then plant something else there I
wont be destroying the planet. Or will I only be destroying the planet if I
choose what to plant therein its place? Silly tree huggers.

If you think that the ivy is presenting any danger to your trees, or to
your overall gardening plan, then for you it is a weed and you should
remove it. In our case ground cover ivy is growing in a copse of healthy
trees where it is doing no harm, so we have no reason to disturb it -
unless of course it becomes a tree-hugger, then we act.

* Mind you, that is providing shelter to slugs, snails, frogs, and various
other animal life. Probably more than was provided by the ivy. What a
dilemma if I remove it.

Your choice entirely.

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Now that does sound a planet unfriendly act!
Do you live in a clean air zone? :-)
--
Alan & Joan Gould, North Lincs.