Old 20-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Dave

Janet Baraclough writes
The message
from "davout" contains these words:

* As most of my garden is surrounded by large hedges there are only a
couple
of areas the deer could have penetrated. What are the best options for
securing the parameters against further deer raids?

It doesn't matter what hedges and fences you have; unless you have 6
or 7ft drive- gates and keep them shut except for the couple of minutes
it takes to get ALL cars in or out,, the deer will just enter that way.

My main garden is behind the house and yard, and they would either have
to cross a fenced paddock or come though a small gap with a garden gate
to get to plants.

What height are your plants cropped to? If up to say 18" then your
problem may 'just' be muntjac :-))

I find a normal post and rail fence (3 rails) with stock fencing (the
small squares getting bigger) works fine, and I have had no more muntjac
visiting. The roe tend to wander along the road and are very shy of
entering any confined space they cannot get out of very quickly. Can you
tell by the footprints?

I'd certainly go for something substantial where they come through - and
make it secure well to either side, plus any weak areas in the hedge. If
one can squeeze through I've watched the rest of the herd follow suit -
which around here is 40 or so animals.

--
David