Old 20-06-2005, 11:17 PM
=Nick

Default Plant newbee wanting assistance

Hi,

My name is Nicolas Munro and I live in Brisbane Australia. I've been
floating around a couple of aquarium news groups for a while now
looking for ways to get my plants to grow better.

Question is - What should I change or buy or do to make my plants grow
better?

My tank as it stands at the moment is:

192w Fluro lighting (2x 4ft on during day + 3x 3ft on for a couple of
hours each night and all day Saturday and Sunday)

300 L (90g) tropical freshwater tank

No CO2 - this is one thing I'm interested in starting not sure
weather yeast method is sufficient for my tank.

12 Tiger Barbs,
5 Silver Sharks,
Lots of Guppies,
8 guppies fry,
2 Sword Tails,
2 Mollies (they are great for eating algae/mold),
1 Cory Dory (kinda sick at the moment),
1 Bristle Nose,

-used to have a Yabby (Australian fresh water crayfish) but it escaped,
hid in my bedroom wall robe at the other end of the house and then got
mistaken for a cockroach and was squished.

3 crypts, 2x elodea.

The crypts are doing wonderfully but the elodea is sickly and can't
decide if it wants to turn yellow and melt or grow.

Currently I run my air stones from 8pm evening till 7am morning. I run
an air curtain 24/7 and have my 1200 L/H filter run when the air stones
are not.

400w heater

I add Seachem Flourish and last weekend i brought Seachem Flourish
Iron.

I have just recently stopped adding ph Down cause some one said it
added phosphates to the water.

Ph usually 7
Ammonia 0 to 0.1
Nitrite 0 to 0.1
GH/KH can't remember think ones 14 and the other is 10 but according
to the test kit is moderately hard but ok.
Temp 22 to 24 degrees C

Feed the fish more than they really need.

Water change between 20% and 50% weekly depending on my mood and how
much stuff I siphon off the bottom of the tank.