Old 20-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Vox Humana

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Rod & Betty Jo" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter"
I agree. It's the peoples' fault. But, we are a backward society,

so
the
people are not taken to the pound, held for a period of time, and

then
killed. Someday, maybe.

Did I get this right?....The damn dog barks but it is the owners

fault
and
not the fault of the actual dog doing the barking

Yes. That's right. Dogs that are appropriately cared for don't
constantly
bark. Brining the barking dog inside the house will generally solve
the
problem. Dogs are both social and territorial. Dogs that are left
outside
get bored and bark, especially when they feel threatened or they hear
other
dogs barking. People who live in close proximity to others shouldn't

keep
their dogs outside, and when they do and barking becomes a problem,
then
it
is the responsibility of the owner to find a solution.

And then there's the flip side - why the owners don't deserve to exist

in
polite society:

1) They KNOW full well that the barking is bothering people, but they
make

clear choice to do nothing about it. That means there's intent, and

this
needs to be taken no further. Everyone will draw their own conclusions.

or:

2) They do NOT know it's a problem, which means they're too stupid to

own
pet. So, it's the responsibility of SOMEONE to help them not own a pet.
In

dream world, an animal control department takes care of this. In

reality,
they do NOT take care of it much of the time, for a host of reasons.

I don't disagree with you on this point. In fact, it was my intention

place the blame on the owner, not the dog. People who don't want to

take
care of their pets shouldn't be pet owners. Owning a companion animal
involves more than supplying food and shelter. Dogs require social
interaction and discipline. They shouldn't be left alone to bark for
hours
on end. Killing a barking dog doesn't seem to be a rational

alternative.
If your neighbor's car was loud, you wouldn't be permitted to destroy

it.

Oh DAMN! And I already went out and bought the explosives! :-) Are you

sure
I can't do it?

Killing a dog that barks because it
isn't appropriately cared for ignores the true issue - the owners.

Well, it certainly solves the problem for a few nights, and sends a

message.
Fortunately for the dogs, most gun owners are careful and responsible, and
know that they can only dream.

The only message that it sends is that owner isn't responsible. All he has
to do is leave the dog unattended and let someone else take action. Dogs
are a dime a dozen to some people. If you kill one, they can get another
one "free to a good home" by tomorrow afternoon.