Old 21-06-2005, 01:43 AM
John Savage

writes:
What are the largest fruit trees? We're replacing an Indian Laurel
Fig, which was about 30' X 30'. Are there any edible trees that get
that big? We live in San Diego (Sunset Zone 24).

Don't overlook nut trees, too. A big advantage is that they probably
don't need all that regular insecticide spraying that most fruit trees
demand. I don't know your US zone system, but the macadamia nut tree
is a rainforest tree and can probably withstand light frosts at least
once it is established (but check further before believing me). It's an
Australian native, that's why I know of it. A native Australian fruit
tree that has some varieties that grow massive, others quite compact,
is the lillypilly. The fruit are cherry-sized, crunchy like an apple,
taste like apple, and make delicious jam. In Australia it has no pests and
the fruit doesn't need spraying though the leaf appearance can be spoiled
by lerps.

You'll probably now tell me Zone 24 has snow 5 months of the year?!