Old 21-06-2005, 12:10 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:26:25 -0400, "Priscilla McCullough" wrote:

I live in the south and have been kept awake several nights because of these
treefrogs.

I'm the ponder K30 spoke of with the City Attorney sending me a letter. I
was able to catch many of my males, but it didn't help, more just came and
replaced them.

I was so ticked that someone in my neighborhood would go to the authorities
first before contacting me, even anonymously, that I wrote a letter to
those who would most likely have written it. Out of 15 letters I got 12
positive responses that they liked the frogs (personally I love the frogs
and sleep wonderfully as their call is white noise to me, not to mention
that all is well out where they are). Of the 3 that didn't respond, 2
probably didn't even know I had frogs, but 1 is very obvious, straight
across the street and new to the neighborhood. My letter informed them
about the life cycle, that they were a native species (just like our
squirrels, birds, skunks, raccoons, crickets..... ). That I had reduced the
number (there were a couple of nights of silence, so if they were
listening, they couldn't have missed that) but if there were any further
problems to contact me directly. A note on my door or by e-mail as I gave
my E-address. I also sent the letter to the CA.

The CA e-mailed me back thanking me for my efforts. A few weeks went by and
the numbers were climbing again, I would go out and catch them, but they
were getting too smart for me, diving deep. I E-ed the CA to see if "these
people" had complained again, but they hadn't received anything and I never
heard anything more. Now I'm down to just a couple as their season is
ending, though I must say, I was amazed to find a fresh sac of eggs just
the other day. These got move to a tub before their brethren decided to
have eggs for breakfast.

My suggestion, changing one's attitude may be easier than controlling the
frogs. Frog croaking is not noise it is nature. When they are croaking
nothing bad is roaming around your yard. If desperate, foam ear plugs work
wonders, my husband, 2 inches away, snores louder than the frogs can croak
outside, so I have to plug the right ear so I can hear the frogs with my
left. ~ jan

See my lily pond, built for the tree frogs:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website