Old 21-06-2005, 05:31 AM
Jenny

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:00:11 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

Vox Humana wrote:

I understand about the fear of propagating plants from seeds. A few years
ago I found some seeds at deep discount so I gave it a try. Nearly all of
the seeds sprouted, and I only lost a dollar or two on the seeds that
didn't. The return on investment was enormous. This time of year you will
find stores clearing out their seeds. You can get some sterile potting
medium and sow the seeds in a margarine tub. You don't need a lot of
equipment and since it is warm and sunny outside, you can just start them
outside and skip the lights and mess indoors.

Well, I did buy some seeds, and I will try to think of them as an
experiment. I had the brilliant idea (or not) that plastic egg cartons
would make nice little greenhouses....

You'd think so, but they are shallow and tend to dry out quickly.
Too bad.

Styrofoam cups, with holes in the bottom, in gallon ziplock bags (with
slits in the bottom for drainage) make for good greenhouses. Just
open the ziplock for ventilation so you don't fry the seedlings.

Growing from seed is a lot of fun and pretty easy once you get used
to it.

That said, there is nothing

wrong with buying plants. Bluestone Perennials and Springhill Nursery both
sell very small plants (in cell packs or bare root).

Hmmm. Have been looking at Bluestone. I forget how folks rate
Springhill and will check that out first....

I like Bluestone for the perrenials. Don't expect a lot until the
second year. I'd pass on the shrubs -- too small and will take years
to get going.

Swyck

My recent Bluestone order arrived with one completely dead plant (not
bare root, just dead. And two of the three "spotty" dianthus I ordered
turned out to be a different variety and not anywhere near as pretty.

I was underwhelmed with the packing they arrived in--long twisted plants
packed in a box with plastic peanuts. More than half the stems of my
Trollius were completely crimped and had to be cut off.

My experience with Spring Hill was much better, though I quickly learned
that I could buy the same plants in much larger versions in local
nurseries for the same money.

I only mail order now to get things I can't find locally.

I'm experimenting with rooting bits of things I already have and want
more of now. Too soon to tell if it will work.

I started a bunch of perennials from seed this spring using a little kit
from Christmas Tree Shops that came with the tiny plastic greenhouse and
six packets of seed (For less than $5. Who could resist?). I've now got
6 columbines, 2 lupines, and a bunch of shasta daisies and foxglove
growing quite happily in my woodland garden. I moved them to peat pots
once they germinated and gave them a lot of time in the shelter of my
deck before planting them in the garden.

I just hope they're pretty. All too often when I buy plants where it
isn't clear what color they're going to be, they turn out to be
something ugly. I just pulled out four of the most disgusting Siberian
irises I've ever seen--brown with greenish yellow highlights-that came
in a mixed iris collection I bought last fall.