Old 21-06-2005, 06:48 AM
Salty Thumb

"Jean B." wrote in :

Vox Humana wrote:

I understand about the fear of propagating plants from seeds. A few
years ago I found some seeds at deep discount so I gave it a try.
Nearly all of the seeds sprouted, and I only lost a dollar or two on
the seeds that didn't. The return on investment was enormous. This
time of year you will find stores clearing out their seeds. You can
get some sterile potting medium and sow the seeds in a margarine tub.
You don't need a lot of equipment and since it is warm and sunny
outside, you can just start them outside and skip the lights and mess
indoors.

Well, I did buy some seeds, and I will try to think of them as an
experiment. I had the brilliant idea (or not) that plastic egg
cartons would make nice little greenhouses....

My eggsperience is the egg cartons work okay if you turn them upside down
so that the soil is in the top. If you do them right side up, I also
found they dry out too quickly, the soil volume is lacking and they blow
away easily if it is windy. You can cut up little pieces of milk/juice
carton plastic for dividers if you really need/want to seperate the
seeds.

My favorite seed starter is a clear plastic 64 oz. juice bottle. Drill
holes in the bottom and in the sides near the top. If you cut a mouth
wash bottle in half, it makes a good funnel for the soil. Cut the juice
ottle open when it's time to get the plant(s) out. It's practically
idiot-proof.