Old 21-06-2005, 01:13 PM
~Roy~

I certainly am not at all familiar with most aspects of filtering in
liner type ponds, bottom drains, skimmers and allthe various brand s
of these items, as I have a natural pond. HOwever I do know what they
are and the general concept. I just never needed to know much about
them....but come fall thats going to change when we start on the liner
type pond by the patio.

But algae / slim or other organism buildup inside pipes and wet ends
of pumps does not take much to start reducing flow of water. I see it
on my aquarium filters etc, with reduced output and flow is slowed
down, and a good cleaning of the tubes and impellar usually restores
the usual good flow.......

Even the best made and designed prefilters and filters will still
over time allow minute sediement to get past them and it will
collect. I have seen my one tank with an undergravel filter build up
with junk, to the point it was useless.

Can you run a garden hose down through any of your pipes to sort of
wash or purge them out? I am not familiar with yur undergravel type
system as construction goes, so is it allunder the ponds bottom gravel
bed or what?
Guess one of these days real soon I am gonna have to set down and
orientate myself a bit more on liner pond construction.........

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:12:38 -0700, ~ janj JJsPond.us
wrote:

===On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:36:46 -0700, "Darren" wrote:
===
===My pond has been going just fine for a couple years now but lately, I have
===seen a decrease in water flow.
===
===When pumps fail, is it a "working" / "not working" scenario or is it a water
===flow just slowly starts going down? For some reason, I thought pumps kind
===of worked or they didn't. If they failed, they didn't work at all.
===
===Hi Darren,
===
===I'm familiar with the Moorehaven system. Basically an under gravel filter.
===They are very knowledgable people, but I wish they'd move to directing
===people to the more efficient/modern way of filtering a pond. That is, not
===having the filter part in the pond, so when there is a problem you're not
===tearing apart the whole dang thing, and having to find some holding tank
===for your fish, or working around them, stressing them out.
===
===Try what Roy suggested first, but I'm betting your PVC is clogged. If so,
===consider converting to a tetra bell vacuum bottom drain and pump into an
===out of the pond filter system.
===
===I like the filter system my husband designed, but when I give advice about
===filters, if people got the money I steer them to the vortex system.
===
===See my ponds and filter design:
===www.jjspond.us
===