Old 26-10-2002, 07:03 PM
BAC

Default Muntjack Deer

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
BAC wrote:

snip

What I am certain of is that the attempt will not be allowed, and
many of the most active and powerful opponents will be so-called
conservationists. Which does not mean that there are not some real
ones, but the pretend variety is more common and influential. And
so we can expect to see most of our native ecologies disappear
within a century, except perhaps in very small reserves with very
restricted access.

I believe you are correct in thinking it is very unlikely conditions will

be
judges right for an attempt to restablish lynx in the wild in the UK. I'm
not sure why you think conservationists are to blame though!

Please reread the distinction I made between so-called conservationists
and real ones!

I have done so, but it doesn't define the difference, i.e. what makes some
conservationists 'real', and others 'pretend'. So I'm none the wiser, I'm
afraid.

I would think the only 'conservation' reason for opposing reintroduction of
lynx would be if the proposal didn't meet the conventional criteria for
reintroductions (which I can't quote in full from memory, and can't be
bothered to look up, but which include, IIRC, introduction into a suitable
habitat, with a good chance of survival, and not endangering other species).

Personally, I would imagine the most vociferous opposition would come from
people who simply wouldn't like the idea of large predators of any kind
roaming the countryside.