Old 21-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message .com
from contains these words:

Please could you quote enough context of the post you're replying to,
for your own to make sense? This small courtesy to other posters is a
newsgroup convention There is a weekly help post called abc for
newcomers to urg which has other posting hints on how to get the best
from the group.

---------

Janet,
yep, i have read that thread. But the new google groups (beta) doesnt
seem to support the quoting thing. I didnt post like that
intentionally. Have copied and pasted a bit of your post above. But it
will look a bit odd won't it?

It's a big improvement, but lacks the indents () at the start of
each line, which a newsreader automatically puts on to indicate quoted
words. They are useful when conversations include several participants
in one post, but you can add them manually.

This is the only way i read urg, so I dont have much choice.

Why not download a free newsreader? Using google for regualr
reading/posting is the equivalent of doing the supermarket run with a
trolley which won't steer and has wonky wheels. It's not impossible,
just a hassle and a pain. If you do an advanced search there in this
group's archive, you'll find many previous discussions and
recommendations for newsreaders.

um.
sorry
wont post in future

There's no need to go away, at all. We all made boobs when we started
and still do occasionally. Don't be misled by a malicious troll lying
that this group discourages newcomers here...that's his own intention.
It's just that the group works better for everyone if we can all
follow the threads easily. While it's very tolerant of brand new
arrivals making posting mistakes, patience becomes a bit frayed if that
tolerance is taken advantage of, and the group's wellmeaning attempts
to help are repeatedly ignored. Obviously you aren't in that category
because you've made the effort to adapt.

Janet