Old 21-06-2005, 04:10 PM
June Hughes

In message m, VX
writes
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:20:24 +0100, Kay wrote
(in message ):

An increasing number of people are posting replies to threads without
any indication of what it is that they're replying to, other than the
heading which may or may not be informative.

Like many (most?) people, I'm reading this newsgroup using software that
takes me straight from one new post to the next. There's an awful lot of
posts in this newsgroup, and when someone simply follows up a previous
post with no indication of what it's about, it's a hassle to have to
start backtracking to find the post being responded to, or, worse still,
try and find a post in a separate thread with the same name.

Please could people quote enough of the post they're replying to so that
readers know what it is they're talking about? It would make reading
posts a lot easier, and it would also mean that there's a better chance
of getting a reply.

I notice that your newsreader is Turnpike. When I last used Turnpike, which
was in the first year of it becoming available (gasp- getting on for ten
years ago!), even then it used a clever graphical interface that displayed
the threading of newsgroup posts. I found it to be an excellent newsreader
and I find it hard to believe that it has regressed iand become more
primitive since then. Your ISP's tech helpline should be able to tell you how
to change the settings if you don't know.

It works OK for me but some people object to expanding threads in order
to find out what is going on. I have to admit that if I don't like a
posting, I tend to just move on to the next one, which is not really a
good practice.
--
June Hughes