Old 21-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default Lavatera x clementii propagation

I noticed an apparent sport of Lavatera 'Barnsley' in the allotment this
afternoon - half a leaf with "gold" variegation, and a few other leaves
with some vague mottling. I've removed the flowers from the two stems
involved, to encourage vegetative growth from the leaf axils.

However, are they any other steps I can take to attempt to propagate the
presumed sport? I know from experience that one can propagate 'Barnsley'
from just about any sort of stem cutting, but I'm not very sanguine
about the use of leaf cuttings. Is it worth a try, and if so, what type
of leaf-cutting - leaf-petiole cutting, midrib cutting, leaf lateral
vein cutting, or leaf square cutting, should I try.

This might be the same sport as 'Chrisjen' - "patches and blotches of
yellow and cream". Is anyone growing 'Chrisjen', who could compare the
variegation patterns. I can produce a digital photo of my half-leaf.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info