Old 21-06-2005, 10:19 PM
compo

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

In a few weeks when they
have a little bunches of roots just dig them up with a trowel, trim
off the umbilical cord , and line out the new plants where you want them
to grow.

I have major problems with slugs and mice so I leave some plants for
them but for myself I have a strawberry tower to keep the fruits away
from beasties. I made this from a piece of 6" plastic drianpipe and a
flat bottomed bucket such as a cattle lick (Farmers throw these away
when finished).

Method:

Using a hole cutter make holes in the drainpipe at varying intervals so
that plants will not obstruct each other. Upend bucket, sink slightly
into ground for stability and half fill with gravel. Insert pipe end
into gravel so that it stands upright. Put a smaller pipe into the
drainpipe and fill around it with soil of your choice. Pack down and
remove the inner pipe. Fill resulting hole with gravel to enable
watering (alternatively fill inner pipe with dry, coarse sand and then
remove pipe). Insert plants into holes and water in. Fill bucket with
water to prevent invasion by mice and other beasties. The result has
been plenty of sweet berries and less foliage than when the roots are
free to run iin the open ground.

| |
| |
| | Pipe