Old 27-10-2002, 08:51 AM
Larry Stoter

Default Tree Ferns hardiness

Michael Berridge wrote:

snips .....
I think the thing is that the Dicksonia will survive the removing and
relocating whereas a full or even half grown oak would never do that.

I beg to differ. Although it is not done now, in the 18th century (?)
Capability Brown dug up, moved and successfuly replanted large, mature
trees. There are a number of contemporary drawing/painting around
showing this being done. Most of the lords having their parks lanscaped
were not the sort of people to wait 150 years for a sampling to mature!

As long as they do have the export license then I see no reason not to
have them in the UK, it is those people who dig up and sell plants from
the wild with no controls that is the real problem.

Couldn't agree more - from ignorant vandals digging up Bluebells in
English woods to groups in in for money, taking snowdrop and tulip bulbs
from the wild in Turkey and Greece.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

However, just because something may currently be legal doesn't mean the
situation won't, and shouldn't change.

--
Larry Stoter