Old 27-10-2002, 08:51 AM
Larry Stoter

Default Tree Ferns hardiness

DaveDay34 wrote:

I don't think Larry understands how little the Dicksonia are actually
worth in NZ. They aren't worth developing a site just to get at them.
They wouldn't make the difference between a site being profitable to
develop or not. They don't tip the balance, and as the sites would be
developed anyway, it's better that the plants are relocated rather than
destroyed.

If the long term view is that we should stop developing sites where tree
ferns grow, then all well and good. In the mean time, I see no point in
stopping the relocation of such ferns.

Dave.

But they aren't worthless, are they, because many people in Europe are
prepared to buy them. And while their value won't stop many
developments, in the case of marginal developments, it could be the
deciding point.

Anyway, I think my main concern is that these plants are old - as these
forests are destroyed, they are gone for good. And in perhaps 100 years
time, they will be gone and not easily regrown.

I just wish people would conside a rather longer term view than next
week.
--
Larry Stoter