Old 22-06-2005, 03:25 AM
Jim Lewis

Dear Group:
I don't mean to get political but I thought you should be informed about this
issue I have just been informed of. It affects all of us who love gardening and
that want to be able to plant non-native plants in our garden. I realize some
people are opposed to non-native gardening but for those who are not, you may
want to read further. This is only for your information and in case you want
your voice to be heard over this matter. The issue is a transportation bill and
its impact on our ability to plant that which may be considered by some
"invasive species". I did not write the following information and hope it does
not offend anyone, I just want people to be informed of the potential problems
of this bill.
Thanks!
Martha

The Transportation Bill is now in conference committee where the
House and Senate iron out their differences to come up with a final
bill. The House version (HR 3 or TEA LU) is intentionally silent
on "Invasive Species". Hearings on the Hill and your calls and
letters helped the House see the problems with this movement . . . .

While "invasive species" ARE a major problem (just ask
anyone who lives near the Florida Everglades or has to
battle Russian thistle out west) this message has been
wandering around the Internet for 10 years or more now. It
is part of a nasty anti-environmental campaign, and that
bill, if it ever existed, doesn't now. There WERE extensive
and important restrictions put (administratively) on the
importation of exotic plants a few years ago, and it got the
anything-goes-especially-if-I-like-it folks really peed off.
This obfuscation campaign was one result.

It is utter nonsense.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of
nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you (that) the
berries are just about all gone. -- Uncle Dave Macon, musician

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++