Old 27-10-2002, 09:28 AM
Jane Ransom

Default Newbie - Allotment clearance

In article , Sam
writes
My question really is what is the best way to clear the rest.

I was thinking of strimming back to the boundries and burning what is
produced there. Followed by using a flamethrower and sterilising the ground.
Once that is done I was thinking of rotivating the plots and then leaving
for the winter to break up.

Am I on the right lines?

The main problem with your method is the perennial roots. You are
clearing only the surface before rotavating. This means you are probably
going to chop up the perennial roots into lots of little bits each of
which will grow into a new plant next year
I know someone who spread mares tail all over his garden by using the
method you are proposing

I would say you have to find some way of eliminating the perennial roots
- dig or weed kill - at some stage before rotavating.

This question comes up so regularly we really should make a faq to
gather together all the suggestions that are made!!!!!!!!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,