Old 22-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Derek Broughton

Snooze wrote:

"DD DDD" wrote in message

all she has is a simple pump with a canister
and one fine sponge in it.

She said her secret is a
automatic fill and drain system. A valve opens and puts in tap water
everyday (15%) And the overflow tube waters her garden. She uses no
declor. Is it possible to do this?

It would appear that she has the "lazy man's approach" to ponding.
The fairly low chlorine levels in the pond after she water cycles probably
doesn't harm the fish, but the dilute chlorine levels combined with the
diluted fish waste obviously helps maintain the water clarity.

Chlorine levels wouldn't do anything for clarity. It might kill stuff, but
then you'd have floating particulate dead stuff instead of floating
particulate live stuff.

200 gal with a daily 15% water change is 30 gal per day, about 900 gal per
month. Shower heads sold in this area are rated at 2.5gpm. So that's an
additional 12 minutes of shower time, daily. I can't think of any place in
the world where that kind of consistent waste of water would be considered
responsible behavior.

How about North America? That sort of consistent waste of water wouldn't
even be _noticed_ in a society that thinks it's alright to spray water over
lawns!

Still, I think it's serious overkill. There's no good reason why you would
need more than 5% if you're going to do changes daily.

My new pond is going to be watered from the eavestroughs, and won't have a
pump at all. It'll be interesting to see how well it works.
--
derek