Old 22-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

I have lived in the land of the Barbarians (George Bush et al) so long that
I no longer know the meaning of the word 'etiquette' so that is the
least of
my concerns...perhaps I will have to take a refresher course in the
next two
weeks so that my stay in the UK might go without too many disturbing
incidences............H

I thought I gave you the gen:

You'll need a loud check tweed plus-four suit, green, yellow and red
check hose, stout shoes and spats, Ecky Thump cap, etc.

The cigar is *OUT*, but a pipe would be acceptable.

Sunday wear is a long frock coat and matching trousers, and a hat must
be worn. Toppers are not much worn these days, and Cokes (bowlers to hoi
polloi) are reserved for weekdays, usually in the city, so a Homburg
would be favourite. Sunday afternoons are more relaxed, and a Panama may
be sported by the more racy dresser.

The practice od addressing all men as 'Sir' and all women as 'Ma'am' has
largely gone, much to the chagrin of many, but to the delight of the
younger generation.

Gerard Hoffnung had some excellent advice for visitors to the country
during the Festival of Britain, some of which I shall repeat:

"All London brothels display a blue lamp."

"Zebra parking places provided everywhere."

"You will oblige your chambermaid by hanging your mattress out of the
bedroom window every morning."

"Have you tried the famous echo in the Reading Room of the British Museum?"

"On entering a railway compartment, be sure to shake hands with all the
passengers."

(Gerard Hoffnung at the Oxford Union) - on a 10" 33·3 rpm Columbia, IIRC

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/