Old 22-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Broadback

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I have a lot of sleepers forming retaining walls, with this hot weather
they are exuding a thick tar like substance, which I assume is creosote.
Any ideas of an economical way of either stopping this of covering the
sleepers? The damned stuff gets everywhere working or walking by them!
I am not concerned about the EEC directive, just the mess.

It's pitch, and apart from refrigerating or shading the sleepers, I have
no solution.

Well, I suppose you could cover them with thin exterior ply (or
shuttering, which is fairly cheap.).

You can scatter sand on/at the exuded stuff to stop it sticking to things.

Thank you all for your replies. My apologies if I upset anyone by
asking the same question here and on D-I-Y, in my ignorance I thought
that was preferable to cross posting.