Old 22-06-2005, 11:15 AM
June Hughes

In message , Kay
writes
We're installing a wood stove this summer, which means we want to line
the chimney first.

But I notice we have a bees nest in the chimney. Is putting a liner in
likely to disturb them?

They are going in through a tiny hole next to the mortar in the top
course of stones, about 6 inches below the chimney pots. It seems to be
one arriving or leaving every minute or so, so it doesn't seem like a
large colony. They look to be bumble bee type things, round and fluffy,
with white bums, and rather small for a bumble bee. Any thoughts?

A local beekeeper would generally be very happy to give advice. If you
wish to take that route, the beekeepers' association would be able to
tell you of someone living close by. The beekeepers I have come across
are generally not only interested in honey bees but bees in general. I
am unsure of Mary Fisher's virtual whereabouts these days but if she is
reading this, I am sure she will agree and be able to advise.
--
June Hughes