Old 22-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

We're installing a wood stove this summer, which means we want to line
the chimney first.

But I notice we have a bees nest in the chimney. Is putting a liner in
likely to disturb them?

Does the Pope wear a funny hat?

They are going in through a tiny hole next to the mortar in the top
course of stones, about 6 inches below the chimney pots. It seems to be
one arriving or leaving every minute or so, so it doesn't seem like a
large colony. They look to be bumble bee type things, round and fluffy,
with white bums, and rather small for a bumble bee. Any thoughts?

Mason bees perhaps?

If that's what they are, then putting a liner in might disturb them, but
shouldn't ruin their home.

I thought you were talking of a honey-bee nest actually in the flue. If
these are mason bees, they'll be in a cavity in the brickwork.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/