Old 22-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Steve

Shagster wrote:
That "brown'ish tint" is exactly what I'm trying to remove..... I think
I'll try throwing some carbon in, and giving it a shot for a while...

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Troy

Activated carbon filtration mainly removes dissolved organic carbons
(D.O.C.). The D.O.C. gives the water a brownish tint, which the carbon
removes nicely.
Steve

I think that may be "dissolved organic compunds".

The carbon I'm currently using is "Black Diamond premium activated
carbon" from Marineland Aquarium Products. I've also had good luck with
other "premium" or "high quality" carbon, including the "Magnum" brand.
The cheaper stuff (Hagen etc) works too, but seems to last less long and
absorb water tints more slowly. Here in Canada I've occasionally seen
"aquarium charcoal", which I'd avoid. It has to be "activated carbon" or
"activated" charcoal to do any good.

Good luck! Activated carbon seems to be pretty harmless stuff and it's
hard to see how you could go wrong with it. Perhaps just make sure to
wash out any very fine carbon dust first. Before use I put my carbon in
its mesh bag, then submerge it in a bucket of water and swish it around.
Steve