Old 22-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Hound Dog

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"wayne crimi" wrote in message
news
Recently the Wall St Journal ran an article about Home Depot training
7000
of its garden center workers to be "nursery consultants" via an online
course. Does anyone have information on that course, how I can take it
etc.....?

No wonder they're doing it. I was there 2 days ago. 80% of their plants
were ready to drop dead. Meanwhile, 5 minutes away, 2 locally owned
nurseries were selling plants that looked like they were ready to be
photographed for a plant catalog.

HD, Lowe's and Wall-Mart, regardless of what people may call them, are
HARDWARE stored and as such are good places to shop.

However for living plants, flowers and trees, find a nursery or REAL garden
center close by where they will have a wide assortment of well cared for
items to choose from.

The information and advice about plants and such from these places tend to
be much more reliable also.

Remember though, even at the nurseries and garden centers chances are good
you will still be dealing with people better trained to operate a cash
register than they are at giving advice on planting roses.