Old 22-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Bendit

"Maryc" wrote in message

Bendit Wrote:
Hello. Quick question here. Scenario is new garden plot, "new" dirt
mix.

Vegetable plants in there will remain very small. Some will never grow
and
stay the same size for weeks. Some will even produce flowers, even if
the
plant size is small. On certain plants, the leaves will
"disintegrate".

Any ideas? I am thinking improper nutrients in the soil, or soil too
acidic
or something like that. Any info appreciated. CHEERS!

Do you mulch any of your plants? We have real hard clay soil here in
Arkansas, besides the summers are real hot and dry. I put newspaper
around my plants and put mulch on top. My plants just love the
newspaper. They start growing strong just after putting it down. I
don't know why though. I just know it works. Last year when everyone
elses tomatoes died from the heat mine just kept producing and growing.

--
Maryc

Thanks for the information. No, I do not mulch any of the plants, yet. I
could later in the summer. The reason why I do not do anything of that
nature is because that garden plot doesn't get full sun 100% of the time,
and even in a hot day the soil is still humid that night. Probably because
of the clay mixture. Clay seems to be a mixed blessing. Certain plants love
having their feet wet all day. My point is that I do not know if delaying
evaporation on my soil is a good plan. I'll have to think about this one.
Thanks again for your input!

I guess I could test my soil...