Old 22-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Al Reid

"GK" wrote in message ...
Bill B wrote:
Dave wrote:

This year I planted my tomatoes in holes filled with mulch and as a
result I'm getting bigger plants than I am used to. The problem is
keeping them tied up. I need so much material to tie them that I have
started using twine rather than the traditonal cloth strips torn from
old sheets. Is twine the standard for those who don't use cages?

Thanks

I have always used twine, not sisal, for tying up my tomatoes. Never
had a problem.

I have cages around mine and do not tie them at all. It's probably too
late to put cages around yours since they're so big, but it's something
to think about next year.

I have been growing tomatoes for over 20 years and have always staked and tied. What to you believe the advantages are to using
cages?

I have the materials laying around to make them is it is really a better way to go.

Thanks,