Old 22-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Steve Calvin

Bill B wrote:

Dave wrote:

This year I planted my tomatoes in holes filled with mulch and as a
result I'm getting bigger plants than I am used to. The problem is
keeping them tied up. I need so much material to tie them that I have
started using twine rather than the traditonal cloth strips torn from
old sheets. Is twine the standard for those who don't use cages?

Thanks

I have always used twine, not sisal, for tying up my tomatoes. Never
had a problem.

I use twine as well, I tie a loop around the plant and leave it very
loose, secured with a square knot and then tie the other end of the
twine to the stake. I have the cages but they are a p.i.t.a. as fas as
I'm concerned. Just try to get at the fruit at the bottom of the plants.
Just another gimmick to get $ outta your pocket. Geeze, how did folks in
the old days every grow 'em without all of this fancy stuff? ;-)

--
Steve
Ever notice that putting the and IRS together makes "theirs"?