Old 22-06-2005, 08:27 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Dave" wrote:

This year I planted my tomatoes in holes filled with mulch and as a
result I'm getting bigger plants than I am used to. The problem is
keeping them tied up. I need so much material to tie them that I have
started using twine rather than the traditonal cloth strips torn from
old sheets. Is twine the standard for those who don't use cages?

Thanks

I cage mine, but I've had very vigorous plants just throwing big vines
outside the cage and those I use twine with. Just never tie them so
tight the stem can't expand. The thickest tomatoe stems I've had are
about 1/2"-5/8" diamter. Any loop of 3/4" more should be good even
for a 12 foot tall vine.

For the very reason you are experiencing I will never not use cages.
I've had a lot of vigor in my plants and they are simply too big to
stake. I also prefer a lot of medium sized tomatoes rather than trying
to force gigantic beefsteaks for show/novelty.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph