Old 22-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Rogerx

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:02:56 -0600, "Bendit"
wrote:

Hello. Quick question here. Scenario is new garden plot, "new" dirt mix.

Vegetable plants in there will remain very small. Some will never grow and
stay the same size for weeks. Some will even produce flowers, even if the
plant size is small. On certain plants, the leaves will "disintegrate".

Any ideas? I am thinking improper nutrients in the soil, or soil too acidic
or something like that. Any info appreciated. CHEERS!

Hi Bendit, I think your problem is probably a like of Nitrogen. I am
no expert in plant nutrient, I just have been at it longer than most.
I do not regard fertilizer as a chemical, no more than I would call a
1 a day vitamin a chemical. I do regard Pesticides and Herbicides as
undesirable chemicals

With that said, let me also state I don't think your problem is Iron.
Iron chlorosis is easy detected by a white fringe on some of the
affected foliage. Even then, your plants may not need iron, if your
PH is quite a bit above 7, then your plant looses the ability to use
the iron, even though you add more. It also makes the soil more acid.

Another thing to remember is that all compost is not created equal.
An example of this is if you use Oak leaves in you compost it will not
doubt be acid. If you use wood chips your ph will vary with
different types of wood.

Okey- If I were in your situation, here is what I would do(I think).

Go to your nearest discount store (like Walmart) the swimming pool
supply or gold fish supply section and buy a package of PH test
strips. Then to the bottled water section and buy some Distilled
Water. You might want to go to the plant food section and buy a small
amount of chemical fertilizers. One that is high in Nitrogen, another
that is high in Potash, and another that is high in Phosphorus. (even
if you don't to use these in you garden, you can find which one you
plants respond to and adjust your compost accoringly.

Soil test: Go home and boil some of the distilled water for 5 minutes
(to remove the co2) after the water cools. Place a coffee filter in
a small dish, then place some garden soil into the filter(no organic
matter). With a plastic spoon dip and slowly pour the distilled water
into the soil, continue to do so slowly until after a few minutes the
water will begin to seep through the filter. As soon as there is
enough water to test, use your test strip EXACTLY as instructed on the
package. Pay particular attention to the "read" time, after duncking
the test strip in the water. WALLA! if it is above 8 or below 5 (7
being neutral ) you must correct this problem first.

Now the three chemical fertilizers. (Even if you don't want to use
these in your garden, you can determin what is missing and adjust your
compost accordingly).

Plant three plants, or if you have three existing plants. Make a
small trench 1" deep in an 8" circle around the plants(measure it!).
Place 1 teaspoon(level) of Nitrogen around one, Place potash around
another and etc. Cover it and water it in. Within less than a week
you will know what is missing.

Sorry for the lengthy post- Rogerx