Old 22-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Reel McKoi

"Andy" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

My goldfish/comet/shubunkin fry hatched a month ago and I'm wondering
about their growth.

About 10 or so are at least 4x bigger than the rest. Some are still very
small, maybe 0.5cm.

** I expected this to happen with mine but all are about the same size.
Only a very few are smaller, and a few are above average in size. Probably
95% are about the same size.

The smaller ones seem to have very long proportions and look more like a
head tapering off to the tail - no shape for the belly.

** It sounds like they may need more food. I feed mine all they can eat 5
or 6 times a day. I also leave tablet food, shrimp pellets and algae wafers
for between meal snacks. They also have algae and insects to eat since the
pools are outside in a sunny area.

The larger ones are starting to show a hint of colour, some blue, some
orange. A couple of them are showing real comet style tail fins.

** Both my koi and GF are as well. :-)

Is the slow development of the smaller ones normal. I keep holding off
on culling as the smaller ones are just too small for me to tell at the
moment.

** You have plenty of time to cull as their colors will change. You don't
want to cull out what may be your prettiest fish.

Any advice, opinions, comments welcome.

** I hope you're enjoying raising your fry as much as I'm enjoying mine.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.