Old 22-06-2005, 01:05 PM
~Roy~

I dunno about her claim,, but if she feels confident thats whats doing
her job for her, then fine, but often times adding fresh water
excessively or on a regular basis can ad to algae blooms...........

I do not use declor of any type in my holding tanks and QT when doing
water changes of 15% or less. I just use straight tap water..Over 25%
sometimes I do and sometimes I don;t........use dechlor. I do however
think daily water changes are excessive though, but hey its her time,
money and water and if its working for her great.

She may also have hit the right combination of plants, filtration rate
and fish load..........

A lot of folks IMHO create their own problems of turbid water by the
types of food they deed, and the amounts of food they feed, so take
your feeding practice into consideration as well.
Yes ponds can function without a BIO but a BIO can also help keep
things in check better as long as its functioning properly........one
that is not, can be a source of headaches.

I think if she is happy with however her fish. water / plants are then
its what she likes, and perhaps it may work for you or maybe not......

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:34:33 -0500, (DD DDD) wrote:

===I have a 300 gallon preform. My neighbor has a 200 gallon preform. I do
===have bio.mech filter and all she has is a simple pump with a canister
===and one fine sponge in it. No bio balls, no course filter or medium,
===just one fine filter that is tiny. She said she puts no chemicals in.
===She has 7 6 inch fish which seems over kill. She said her secret is a
===automatic fill and drain system. A valve opens and puts in tap water
===everyday (15%) And the overflow tube waters her garden. She uses no
===declor. Is it possible to do this? She has done this for 3 years and
===never lost one fish. She has chorine in her tap water but says 15% daily
===water change has not harmed her fish and her water is crystal clear. She
===cleans the small canister filter and puts in a new sponge once a month.
===Takes her 5 minutes. She does no other maintenence at all. Can A pond
===function with no bio? Cause it seems great to me. I have never seen a
===pond clearer than heres. And she feeds her fish 2 times a day and I
===think to much but it works for her. What does everyone think about this
===setup? Thank you

"The original frugal ponder"