Old 22-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Kay

In article , Chris Bacon
writes
Kay wrote:
We're installing a wood stove this summer, which means we want to line
the chimney first.

But I notice we have a bees nest in the chimney. Is putting a liner in
likely to disturb them?

They are going in through a tiny hole next to the mortar in the top
course of stones, about 6 inches below the chimney pots. It seems to be
one arriving or leaving every minute or so, so it doesn't seem like a
large colony. They look to be bumble bee type things, round and fluffy,
with white bums, and rather small for a bumble bee. Any thoughts?

It will certainly disturb them if they're inside the chimney. There's
a vague possibility that they are just in a cavity in the brickwork,
if it's old and not maintained. One every minute or so does mean
it's a small colony - it may increase as the season goes on. Your
best bet is unfortunately to destroy it, unless you can wait 'till
later in the year after the frosts come.

Stonework not brickwork - therefore definitely old though repointed
about 15 years ago.

They're not honey bees - how big a colony do bumble bee type things
form?

--
Kay