Old 22-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Kay

In article , writes

So, a couple of questions:-
Is it possible in general to grow fruit trees from seed or are
there other issues than vigour (or lack of vigour) that prevent
one doing this?

Seed production is sexual reproduction - in other words, normally the
pollen comes from a different plant (I say 'normally' because some
plants - though not usually apples and pears - are self-fertile and will
pollinate themselves in preference to failing to set seed), and
therefore the 'child' grown from the seed will not necessarily look like
either of its parents.

Grafting is asexual reproduction, and so the resulting tree (at least
the grafted bit) is genetically identical to the tree that you cut the
piece for grafting from.

In theory it is possible to carry out asexual reproduction by cuttings,
but I think the success rate with grafts is higher.

But the main reason for grafting is, AFIAW, the one you state, of
restricting the growth to manageable size.

Does the same apply to all fruit trees (e.g. apples, pears,
cherries, plums, etc.) or is it only some types that are grafted
and others are 'complete' as it were.

I don't think mulberries are grafted.

Does anyone know if medlars are grafted - and on to what?

We have an apple tree that I think grew from below the graft on a
tree that all but died. It's very vigorous! It's become quite a
sizeable tree in just a couple of years and bears a lot of fruit
already. Is it going to cause us any problems? (We have lots of
space - several acres altogether)

You may eventually need a ladder to pick the fruit ;-)
--
Kay