Old 22-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Chris Bacon

Kay wrote:
Chris Bacon writes
June Hughes wrote:
June Hughes writes
A local beekeeper would generally be very happy to give advice.

Probably, but actually removing "nests" of bees from perilous
places is likely to be a privilege that's declined! Nice swarms
conveniently positioned at low levels will quite possibly be
gladly taken.

It's not a swarm and they're not honey bees,

I *did* read what you said in your OP... the bit about
swarms was free additional information resulting from
June Hughs' contribution WRT local beekeepers happy to
give advice (I had a number of stocks some time ago, &
hope to have some again). Most beekeepers will actually
talk to you, but due to the amount of work/time in "the
season" probably won't be interested in bumble bees, or
wasps, etc. See above.

and since they're in the
stonework or the chimney, removal as a 'swarm' isn't an option. It's
really advice I need on whether they'll be within the depth of the
stonework, and, if so, is poking a liner down the chimney something that
can be done without upsetting them?

Several things:

If it's stonework, there may be a cavity big enough for
bumble bees to nest in, it depends on the bee really.
They only need a fist-sized hole in some cases.

Bumble bees don't hoard honey in wax combs like honey bees,
they don't have the same lifestyle, so it's rather unlikely
that there will be any problem from firing up a "woodstove"
(woodburner? Multi-fuel stove?).

You mention "poking a liner down". What sort? AFAIK the
corrugated flexible stainless steel liners are unsuitable
for solid fuel. Worth checking with your supplier or
"stove shop" or council Building Control Officer (last
resort IMO).

If someone's up there they will probably be considered
fair game by the bees. There may be up to 200 or so,
give or take.

You could try lighting something smoky under the chimney
and seeing what happens to the smoke (e.g. does it come
out of the stack where it shouldn't). You can get "smoke
pellets", but they aren't all *that* smoky IMO.

Your best bet is probably to do them in, somehow. Shame,
but probably most practical.