Old 22-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Kay

In article , Chris Bacon
writes

If it's stonework, there may be a cavity big enough for
bumble bees to nest in, it depends on the bee really.
They only need a fist-sized hole in some cases.

That's bigger than I was thinking - I was thinking fist size as a max.
Thanks

Bumble bees don't hoard honey in wax combs like honey bees,
they don't have the same lifestyle, so it's rather unlikely
that there will be any problem from firing up a "woodstove"
(woodburner? Multi-fuel stove?).

Multifuel

You mention "poking a liner down". What sort? AFAIK the
corrugated flexible stainless steel liners are unsuitable
for solid fuel. Worth checking with your supplier or
"stove shop" or council Building Control Officer (last
resort IMO).

We will be. We'll be getting the 'stove shop' to do the entire
installation.

If someone's up there they will probably be considered
fair game by the bees. There may be up to 200 or so,
give or take.

You could try lighting something smoky under the chimney
and seeing what happens to the smoke (e.g. does it come
out of the stack where it shouldn't). You can get "smoke
pellets", but they aren't all *that* smoky IMO.

There's going to be a liner come what may. It's impossible to tell
whether *all* the smoke you released at the bottom came out of the top,
and I am not trusting the fabric of this house

Your best bet is probably to do them in, somehow. Shame,
but probably most practical.

No, I'd prefer to delay the installation.

--
Kay