Old 22-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Steve Calvin

Are the twist ties Ok to use? won't they constrict the width of the
stems? I used them and now I'm think maybe I better either losen them
or use something else.

Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:13:37 -0400, "Al Reid"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message oups.com...

This year I planted my tomatoes in holes filled with mulch and as a
result I'm getting bigger plants than I am used to. The problem is
keeping them tied up. I need so much material to tie them that I have
started using twine rather than the traditonal cloth strips torn from
old sheets. Is twine the standard for those who don't use cages?

Thanks

I have never used twine and I guess it would work. I have used the spools of twist-tie as well However, I usually collect old bed
sheets, etc. and cut/tear into strips. I think the cloth ties work better and don't cut into the plant.

I wouldn't but I suppose that you could as long as there is ample room
in the loop around the plant to let the stems increase in diameter. I'd
be leary though as the plant gets larger that the weight of the plant
itself may be enough to let the small wire internal to the twistie cut
into the stem. Dunno though as I've never used them.

--
Steve
Ever notice that putting the and IRS together makes "theirs"?