Old 27-10-2002, 04:30 PM
Mike

Default High hedge for coastal garden

In article , cormaic
writes
A contractor colleague has a garden on the western edge of
Anglesey, only 100m from the sea, and needs to plant a high hedge to
screen an undesirable extension that his neighbour is having built.
Whether the extension is undesirable because Barry didn't get the
contract to build it, or whether it's just an eyesore is not revealed.
Anyway, he asked me to suggest a suitable hedging plant, and I
gave the stock answer of 'Escallonia', but, he reckons the hedge needs
to be 2-3m in height, and be up at that height by next summer at the
latest.
So, any suggestions for an evergreen, salt-tolerant,
wind-proof, reasonably tall, low-maintenance hedging plant that is
readily available and capable of being planted by a man more
accustomed to laying sewer pipes than laying hedges would be much
appreciated. :~)

We are in almost the same situation on the Isle of Wight with regards to
position from the cliff and wanting privacy in the garden for me to do
my topless sunbathing.

We have a quick thorn mixed with Escallonia as you say. We are very
pleased with the way it has screened and sheltered us and between the
they are quite easy for even me to manage with a thumping great pair of
Loppers and an Electric Hedge trimmer.

2 - 3 metres by next Summer is pushing it a bit. Even Russian Vine on
Chain Link fence wouldn't do that I don't think.

Mike
on a very windy Isle of Wight
(Just heard that in Portsmouth Harbour, a P & O Ferry has hit one of the
Royal Navy Warships)
O ruddier than the cherry, O sweeter than the berry,
O nymph more bright, than moonshine night,
like kidlings blithe and merry.
John Gay 1685 - 1732