Old 23-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Dana Schultz

Most of the bulbs in my garden came from those very sad forced bulbs that
Home Depot brings in in the spring. I asked the manager and he gave me the
most awesome deal (25 cents a pot). I bought the whole table (120 pots of
straw). The bulbs are gorgeous!!!
I was always a sucker for the dead and dying plants and have the most
beautiful garden.
I don't work in a garden center but I would never expect an employee of such
places to know everything about everything. I am considered knowledgeable
among my friends and co-workers but still have to go to the books when I am
unfamiliar with a plant. I am not ashamed to say I need to look it up and
tell them so!
If you truly need information about a plant take a reliable book with you. I
do. That way I can verify the validity of the information if I really want
something unusual.

I worked in a Canadian HD for several years and it was difficult to get a
good watering system going when the Manager of the Dept didn't know grass
from a dandelion! It was sad and the losses were staggering. But one the
ladies on the staff worked for the RBG (Royal Botanical Gardens) and you
could ask her just about anything. If she didn't know she would look it up.
It is hit and miss finding a knowledgeable person at any garden center. I
always to get there when they are on break or lunch.
My two cents worth.

--
Dana
www3.sympatico.ca/lostmermaid
"Dennis Edward" wrote in message
"Angrie.Woman" wrote in message
. ..
Vox Humana wrote:

pick Lowe's when I can find what I am looking for there. The plants at

the
local nursery are about 4x's as expensive, and the plants at HD, W-M and
the grocery tent look sad compared to the Lowe's selection. It looks

Gonna go just slightly off-topic here -- or actually go back on-topic,

since
it's a gardening-related comment :0) -- This year, when I was trying to

buy
cell inserts for my growing trays, I discovered that none of the big box
outlets (HD, Rona, and the like) are selling straight cell inserts for
around $1. Instead they are selling inserts that have been cut into 6

pieces
(not very cleanly), wrapped with a light cardboard bit of packaging, and

are
being sold for $2.50. Who thought of that little gem, I wonder?

Fortunately
Art Knapps didn't buy into this gimmick.