Old 23-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Des Higgins

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Kay contains these words:

We're installing a wood stove this summer, which means we want to line
the chimney first.

But I notice we have a bees nest in the chimney. Is putting a liner in
likely to disturb them?

Does the Pope wear a funny hat?

ho ho :-)

They are going in through a tiny hole next to the mortar in the top
course of stones, about 6 inches below the chimney pots. It seems to be
one arriving or leaving every minute or so, so it doesn't seem like a
large colony. They look to be bumble bee type things, round and fluffy,
with white bums, and rather small for a bumble bee. Any thoughts?

Mason bees perhaps?

I am making a wild guess here but I think mason bees are solitary. That
means they can live in concentrations but each will have its own hole (in
the brickwork I hasten to add).

These sound like bumble bees (white bums and they live in small colonies).
The sizes will vary. There are small species and workers vary a lot in size
within a colony anyway and are quite a lot smaller than the queens that you
seen at the beginning and ends of the season.

Either way, beekeepers will not be able to do anything except as someone
else pointed out, they may know what they are.
As to the liner having an effect, as Rusty said, it depends if the nest is
in a cavity or inside the chimney flue.
I appreciate your concern as bumble bees are georgeous creatures it is nice
to try to accomodate them.

If that's what they are, then putting a liner in might disturb them, but
shouldn't ruin their home.

I thought you were talking of a honey-bee nest actually in the flue. If
these are mason bees, they'll be in a cavity in the brickwork.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/