Old 23-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Doug Kanter

"Dennis Edward" wrote in message
news:_hhue.1778409$6l.941375@pd7tw2no...
"Vox Humana" wrote in message

I went to HD today. Same thing. Nearly everything was wilted BADLY, or
just plain dead.

I went to HD a few weeks ago, and asked about a problem with my
tomatoes -- numerous holes in the leaves. The salescritter told me in no
uncertain terms that it was caused by watering in sunny weather -- the
drops of water cause lensing and burn the leaves. Uh-huh. I did a little
research and discovered the *real* problem -- flea beetles.

I won't be asking them for advice again....

Here's a thought: How many of the complainers here are aware of the
existence of at least one or three small garden centers staffed by people
who care, where the 6-packs of plants are still in nice shape, even though
it's late June and those plants should be a bit stressed even under the best
of circumstances? If you're aware of such places, why do you care if the
6-packs cost a dollar more, as long as the plants are vigorous? Why even
waste the gasoline (at $2.25+ per gallon) to go to stores where there's
about a 25% chance of finding nice, vibrant plants?

At some point, you'll realize that the only place to get solid garden advice
is from the locally owned people. But, if you don't patronize them, they
won't be there when you need them. Remember hardware stores?