Old 23-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Reel McKoi

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
news
Reel McKoi wrote:

"Snooze" wrote:

## I had a well in NY. Why not use the water as it was there and
replenished with each rainfall and snowfall. If no one used it, it just
ended up in the river and then on down to the ocean.

That's _only_ true for a dug well (ie, a well that is only a few feet

deep).
Deep water acquifers take decades to centuries to recharge.

$$ Yes, our well was hand-dug and no deeper than about 8 to 10'.

It's not like there is an limitless supply of
ground water for everyone to freely use.

## That depends on where you live. I live in the mid-south. No water
shortages here.

That's the kind of attitude that is going to turn the Ogallalla region

into
a desert (that is, that part of it that isn't already one).

$$ I saw something about that on TV awhile back. I don't know why they
allow farmers to use this ground water (Ogllalla region) when there are
areas of the our country that doesn't need such watering to grow crops. As
for watering lawns and golf courses there - it should be outlawed. Just my
opinion.....

Decades of using the ground water
in the Salinas valley by the farmers as if it's a free resource has
caused salt water from the oceans to get drawn into the ground water
supply.

## I'm aware of that.

Yet you encourage the same thing to happen in your area?

## Our water here in TN comes from a small town Utility's deep well.

The
surrounding towns get it from the river or a huge nearby lake. Again,

it
depends on where you live.

Note: "deep well". That's the problem...

$$ Again, the people and the Gov. allow this Derek. Our new water co. is
not near any lakes or rivers to draw from. Then why allow them to open a
water Co. there? They also claim the deep well water is cleaner than
surface water. Cheaper to treat I suppose. We were getting utility water
from Murfreesboro before this new Co came along. It was river water and
tasted a lot better in my opinion. It was also 1/2 the price of what we're
paying for water now. I believe until we're in a serious situation people
will continue to waste water on lawns, car washings, two showers a day,
swimming pools and other non essential things. That's just the way most
people are. They have the attitude, "Let someone else conserve. I'm
SPECIAL."
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.