Old 24-06-2005, 02:09 AM
World Traveler

"Iowa883" wrote in message
What kind of a John Deere ? Is there a place where I can get a retail
price on John Deere products ?
Thanks,
Iowa883

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
news
You can get a John Deere for that price. Get it from a dealer instead of
the stores like Home Depot. If you would have any problem with it, they
will come and pick it up for you, unlike the department stores.

"Iowa883" wrote in message
I am in need or a new riding mower, I have 1 1/2 acres in rural Iowa to

mow.
I would like something with a decent sized deck and decent wheels as I

have
some bumps in my yard.
I am wondering if Dept store mowers are decent in workmanship or are
they
cheap ? I really do not want to buy a new mower ever season or every
other
season.
I also would like to keep it in the $2,000-$2500 range if I could.
What do you guys recommend ?
Thanks,
Iowa883

My experience is different from the other advice you've gotten. I think a
ZTR is primarily a commercial product, best for the MB&G lawn services (Mow,
Blow and Go) because it minimizes trimming and is the fastest way to mow a
lawn. There's a big cost differential for a ZTR, and for a homeowner I
think the cost and complexity differential makes a conventional tractor
advantageous -- you'll get a more durable mower, larger engine, more
features and less potential maintenance problems with a conventional lawn
tractor. I also don't feel that a hydrostatic transmission is a necessity,
especially if it's a tradeoff between the hydrostatic transmission and a
larger, faster and more powerful mower with a five or six-speed. In
addition, although I bought my JD intending to use it primarily as a mower,
probably 90% of its use is as a lawn tractor, towing a cart around with
plants, paving blocks, bags of compost, etc.

Retail prices -- you can get all the retail prices you need with a visit to
a Home Depot, whether you decide to buy there or not. In my experience,
buying from another (local) source only makes sense if there is a cost
advantage. The JD retailer in this area does NOT make free home deliveries
or pickups, even if you bought the machine from him. OTOH, my previous home
had a good local JD dealer and I would buy from him if his prices were
competitive. It's not realistic to think that most local retailers will
give you special treatment if you have to have the equipment serviced a few
years from now. I would also try to bargain over the price, even at Home
Depot. Any time I have a large order at Home Depot I bargain with them over
the final price. There are several levers you can pull to get a 10%
discount at HD, and a local shop should have to stay competitive with the
BORG.

Regards --